Calhoun Community College
Welcome to the Emergency Medical Services Program at Calhoun Community College. We hope that this page can serve as a source of information for our students as well as others in the EMS community.
EMS Certification Levels offered by the Calhoun EMS Department
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) courses are offered EVERY semester. Class options exist for either daytime or evening classes. EMT is the first level of EMS licensure. Successful completion of EMS 118 and EMS 119 are required for EMT program completion. EMT is considered a short certificate. Students may enroll in this program by meeting with a college advisor.
Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (AEMT) courses are offered every semester. AEMT is offered during the day on the Decatur Campus only. The class days are Monday and Wednesday. AEMT is the second level of EMS licensure. Successful completion of EMS 155 and EMS 156 are required for AEMT program completion. The AEMT has an extended scope of practice over the EMT. AEMT is considered a short certificate, but students are required to meet with an EMS faculty member prior to course registration. Alabama EMT license required PRIOR to course admissions.
Paramedic (NRP) course begin every summer semester. Calhoun Community Colleges offers either a long certificate or Associates of Applied Science degree options for Paramedics. The program is three semesters long and students are required to complete BIO 201 PRIOR to admission into the program. The Paramedic Program Application (see below) should be printed and completed in its entirety and returned with all requested documents to the Allied Health Department secretary no later than April 1st for admission in the summer semester. AEMT licensure required PRIOR to course admission. Other general education courses are required prior to course completion.
Note: This application is started and completed in one sitting. You will not be able to save your progress. Prior to starting this application, you will need the following electronic documents to upload:
- Copy of your Calhoun Community College Student ID
Licensed EMT’s/Advanced EMT’s only:
- Copy of your Alabama State EMS License
- Copy of your NREMT Certification
Please call Misty Greene at 256-306-2786 with questions.
- All new and prospective EMT, AEMT or Paramedic students, please contact the EMS office for more information and registration dates by calling the Allied Health Department at 256-306-2786
- Directions to Pearson Professional Plaza (Pearson VUE) for NREMT testing in Decatur, AL
- Textbook list for all EMT, AEMT, and Paramedic Courses
- Calhoun EMS Background Check Policy
- Calhoun EMS Drug Screening Policy
- EMS Student Handbook
Click to go to any of the following links:
- American Heart Association Training Center (CTC)
- Brochure about the EMS Program & Requirements for the Associate of Applied Science
- Contact Information for the EMS Faculty and Staff
EMS Program Accreditation
Calhoun Community College's Paramedic Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs or CAAHEP (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the EMS Professions or CoAEMSP.
To receive an email for background check/drug screening and/or credentialing OR questions related to these processes please contact Misty Greene, Allied Health Secretary, at 256-306-2786 or email firstname.lastname@example.org