Student Art Show
Call for Entries -- ALL Media
March 1 - March 23, 2017
Exhibition Dates: April 5 - April 21
Alabama Center for the Arts
Gallery & Walking Gallery
April 11, 2017, 12:00 noon - 1:00 p.m
Public Reception (during 3rd Friday Events)
April 21, 2017, 5:00 - 8:00 p.m.
*All attending Calhoun students are eligible to participate.
MEDIA & NUMBER OF WORKS
All media accepted including painting, digital illustration, prints, photography, drawings, designs, pen and ink, mixed media, sculpture, ceramics, etc. Artists may submit up to five works of art in any style of expression or technique. No reproductions such as giclees, etc.
A Student Art Show venue for matted and unframed work will be located on the Second Floor. If a frame is not possible, bring your artwork in to be showcased upstairs at the ACA.
Artwork submitted for the Gallery and Walking Gallery must be framed, matted if applicable, and wired securely. (Contact Kathryn.Vaughn@calhoun.edu with questions or for further specifications if needed.)
At least one Framing Clinic (date and time to be announced) will be held to teach students matting and how to frame artwork themselves. One mat board for each watercolor, print, photograph, and drawing can be brought to the Clinic and cut. Matting equipment and limited framing tools may be available under Work Study supervision. (See Kathryn Vaughn for possible dates and times.) Clinic-matted works can then be readily framed using off-the-rack frames and resources available locally.
Large 2D works may need to be glazed with plexiglas due to safety concerns. Mid-sized and smaller pieces may be glazed with either glass or acrylic.
- The ACA does not supply framing hardware or wire. No tape may be used to hold artwork into a frame.system. Artwork that is improperly wired or otherwise deemed unsafe may not be accepted.
- Canvases without frames must have properly finished (painted) edges.
- No sawtooth, bulldog, or similar hangers -- D-rings are preferred; substantial eye screws are acceptable. Coated wire is preferred. Tape all frayed ends. Canvas must be wired as well. No canvas hooks.
- Safe installation is a priority. Work too fragile for handling by gallery personnel will not be accepted.
- All work must be capable of being handled by one person and not overburden the Gallery hanging system.
- 3D works should fit into a 12 foot hypothetical cube and not weigh more that one person can handle.
- March 1 - March 23 -- Entries Due at ACA. Completed, signed registration forms must be attached to art. (Kathryn Vaughn Office #217; Jennifer Bunnell or Pat Bradford, First Floor Administrative Offices)
- April 3, 4 -- Installation of Artwork
- April 5 -- Show Opens
- April 11 -- Awards Celebration (12 noon - 1:00 pm)
- April 21 -- Reception for the Public during 3rd Friday Events (5:00 - 8:00 p.m.)
Artwork can be removed beginning after the Public Reception ends at 8:00 p.m.
- April 24 - April 27 -- Artwork Pickup continues during normal business hours (M-Th, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm; F, 8:30 am - 12 noon)
PICK UP AND STORAGE
Art may be picked up April 21, after 8:00 pm and continuing until April 27 by 4:30. Unless previous arrangements have been made, work not picked up will be subject to a fine of $10 per piece per week. Work left longer than two weeks may be disposed of or used for fund-raising purposes. No exceptions.
Calhoun and the ACA reserve the right to reproduce images of accepted entries for promotion of the show in the media and online.
Student work can be priced for sale or designated NFS (not for sale). Students receive 100% of the artwork sale price. The ACA will issue checks for sales after the close of the show. All sales tax processing will be handled by the exhibitor.
All work will be handled with care, but pieces submitted for the show are done so at the artist’s risk. In the even of damage or theft, the ACA will not be held liable.
Submission of an entry to this show constitutes agreement by entrant to the conditions set forth.
CONTACT & BUILDING HOURS
For further information, please contact Kathryn Vaughn, (256) 306-2695; ACA Office #217. Her hours this Semester are until 6:00 pm Mondays and Tuesdays, Wednesdays until 2:00, and Thursdays until 5:00 pm. Lunch, when taken varies. The Alabama Center for the Arts is located at 133 2nd Avenue, SE, Decatur, AL, 35601 near the Princess Theater. Jennifer Bunnell (256) 260-4299 and Pat Bradford (256) 260-4293 are the ACA administrators and can accept artwork as well. Building hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. Please make an appointment to drop off artwork if you foresee coming after 4:00 pm or on Fridays.
Thank you for your interest in the Calhoun Student Art Show. Exhibiting your creative efforts is a milestone to include on your future resume and an accomplishment to enjoy now. Come share your art.
YOUR MUST DOWNLOAD AND PRINT A COPY OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS. The 2nd page includes a label that must be completed for each piece of art. COMPLETE TWO FOR EACH PIECE • CUT & ATTACH TO ARTWORK FOR DELIVERY