Student Advocate Office
Why does Calhoun have a Student Advocate?
The Student Advocate Office was created to help students and potential students solve college-related problems by providing individual attention to each issue. It is important that these problems be handled in a direct, expeditious, and friendly manner. If a student or potential student has tried without success to resolve a problem on campus, it’s time to contact the Student Advocate Office.
How can I Contact the Student Advocate?
It’s easy! The Student Advocate Office is open the following dates/times:
- Decatur campus: Monday – Thursday 7:45 a.m. until 5:15 p.m. and Friday 7:45 a.m. until 11:45 a.m.
- Huntsville campus: Every first Monday and second Tuesday of each month, 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.
For more information or to schedule a meeting, stop by the office located on the first floor of the Chasteen Student Center, Decatur campus, or room 313 at the Huntsville campus.
What is the Role of the Student Advocate?
- Listening to the needs and concerns of the student or potential student
- Educating the students on college policies and procedures spotlight on students
- Communicating with the students to assist in devising a solution or strategy to the problem(s) or finding alternatives
- Gathering information and making inquiries in cooperation with the student
- Referring the students to the appropriate office or person, or contacting the office or person on the student’s behalf
- Following up with the student to be sure the situation is resolved, the question is answered, or (s)he has made the necessary contact
- Recommending process or procedural improvements when necessary