How much does the GED test cost?
If not utilizing the See4Free program, the regular cost of each GED® exam is $30, or $120 for the entire test.
How do I register?
To register for the GED exam, go to GED.com. Test-takers can pay for and take one subject at a time or multiple subjects if you choose to.
What’s on the GED test?
- Reasoning Through Language Arts
- 150 minutes long
- Measures your ability to read closely, write clearly, and edit and understand written text.
- You will have 45 minutes to write an essay.
- Mathematical Reasoning
- 115 minutes long
- Includes quantitative & algebraic problem solving.
- Calculator use is permitted on the second part of the test.
- 90 minutes long
- Includes life science, physical science, earth and space science.
- Calculator use is permitted.
- Social Studies
- 70 minutes long
- Includes civics and government, U.S. history, economics, geography and the world.
- Calculator use is permitted.
Can I retake the test?
A student can take his or her first three attempts per subject area without a waiting period between tests. After that, there is a 60-day wait between each attempt. Test-takers can get two discounted retakes ($10) for each $30 test taken.
Is there a penalty for wrong answers?
There is no penalty for a wrong answer. Test-takers should attempt to answer all the questions on the test.
What is a passing score?
To pass the GED test, you must score 145 on each exam:
- Below Passing: 100-144
- GED® Passing Score: 145-164
- GED® College Ready: 165-174*
- GED® College Ready + Credit: 175-200*
Most scores are ready the same day after testing. However, it could take up to three business days to receive a score.
*Calhoun currently has no benefit program in place for these score levels.
Can I take the test in other languages?
The GED is given in English and Castilian Spanish. Also, Alabama residents are allowed to combine different language versions of the GED® test to earn their credential.
What do I need to bring on test day?
Bring a government-issued identification card (ex. a driver’s license or passport). Make sure the document is valid (not expired), has your photo on it, has your signature on it, includes your date of birth, includes an expiration date. If you have questions about identification, call (256) 306-2610 or (256) 713-4809.
You do not need to bring any testing materials with you on test day. We have everything you need!
I took part in the old GED test but didn’t pass. Do I have to start over?
Scoring for older and newer of the GED test cannot be mixed. If you have taken part of the old test, but didn’t pass it on or before December 31, 2013, you will have to start the testing process all over again.
Are there accommodations for persons with disabilities?
GED Testing Service provides accommodations to individuals with documented disabilities. For more information go to https://ged.com/about_test/accommodations/ or call 256-306-2610.
Do you provide verification to employers?
Employers needing GED verifications should go to: http://www.parchment.com/contact-us-ged/
What Happens When I Pass the GED Test?
- Receive a Digital Transcript & Diploma
As soon as you pass the 2014 GED® test series, you will receive a secure, electronic PDF document delivered to your email that contains your transcript and diploma. You will have 60 days to download and save the documents. During the 60 days, you may download them seven times for free. Save the transcript to a computer, a flash drive, the cloud, etc.
The digital documents are OFFICIAL documents. You can personally send them to colleges, training centers, employers, etc. without having to go through the GED testing office at Calhoun.
- Order a Printed Diploma
You should order your printed diploma using your GED.com account. The free diploma link will only be available until it has been used; it can only be used one time.
- Go to GED.comand log in
- Navigate to My Scores
- Select the Order Duplicates link
- Select Diploma option
- Select the Printed Diploma – Free option
- Fill in who and what address you want the diploma to be mailed to
- Carefully follow the instructions presented during the ordering process
- Receive $600+ Free Tuition
Once you have successfully completed your GED test, you earn a 4-credit-hour scholarship that you can use toward college classes at Calhoun or any Alabama state community college. If you want to attend school at Calhoun, take a copy of your transcript to the Business Office on either campus:
- In Decatur – Business Office, Math Science Admin Bldg. 3rd Floor, 256-306-2540
- In Huntsville – Business Office, Sparkman Bldg., Room 105, 256-890-4727
- Transition Counseling
After receiving your GED, you can speak to an Adult Education Transition Counselor about college and career choices. Transition counselors can help you consider what to do next.
- GED Graduation
Students passing the GED exam are eligible to participate in the GED cap-and-gown graduation ceremony held each year in May. For more information, contact the Adult Education administrative assistant, 256-306-2830 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Post-GED Opportunities
Having your GED can open many doors of opportunity for you. Consider the following:
- College degrees. Consider Calhoun’s many options.
- Job Training.Calhoun’s Workforce Solutions offers non-credit training programs such as CDL Truck Driving, Industrial Training, or Healthcare Training. Visit the Workforce solutions website.
- Alabama Certified Worker (ACW) Certificate. Alabama’s Ready-to-Work program provides a career pathway for adults with limited education and employment. Earn entry-level skills required for employment with most businesses and industries in Alabama. Visit the Ready to Work website.
- The Alabama Workforce Investment Act (WIOA)is a grant program that may provide financial assistance for training programs through Calhoun Workforce Solutions. For more information, visit your local Alabama Career Center website website: https://joblink.alabama.gov/ada/r/offices/85300000
- US Military Contact your local recruiter for Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Navy service.