Opportunities in accounting are expanding. With the increasing population, the industrial development, and growth in large and small businesses in North Alabama, the need for competent accountants is rapidly becoming more intense.
The Accounting curriculum is designed to help students take advantage of these employment opportunities. Students are given training in accounting theories and skills necessary for entry into the accounting profession.
The Accounting curriculum aims to develop the following competencies:
- Understanding the principles of organization and management in business operations;
- Ability to practice accounting, including income tax;
- Knowledge in specific elements of business law, economics, and information systems;
- Knowledge of human relations as they apply to successful business operations in a rapidly expanding economy; and
- Understanding and skill in effective communication for business.
Calhoun offers an Associate of Applied Science degree in Accounting as well as two short-term certificates.
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Program Code: AAS.BSAD.BACT CIP Code: 52.0201
Accounting Essentials Certificate
Program Code: STC.BACT CIP Code: 52.0201
Tax Professional Certificate
Program Code: STC.BSAD.BTAX CIP Code: 52.0201
Please refer to the current catalog for degree and certificate requirements.
Careers in Accounting
The Accounting Essentials certificate program is designed to prepare students for employment in the following related fields: Payroll, Accounts Receivable and Payable, Bookkeeping, and Tax Preparation.
Check out career data based on the programs below: