The degrees and certificates offered by the Computer Information Systems department provide students with the technical skills necessary to compete in today’s high-tech world.
- Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degrees – Our A.A.S. degrees prepare students for entry-level positions in computer hardware repair, networking, computer programming, cybersecurity, or software applications.
- Associate of Science (A.S.) Computer Science pathway – Our study plan is designed to prepare you to transfer to a university and complete your bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or a related field.
- Short-Term Certificates – 3 or more courses in a focused area of study. Popular with people seeking to change careers or to update their skill set.
- Cisco CCNA Preparation Certificate – Prepares students for the CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) certification exam.
- Computer Science Essentials Short-Term Certificate – gives students essential skills to analyze and resolve many of the day-to-day challenges commonly encountered in the computing field.
- Computer Technician Preparation Certificate – This certificate option provides courses which help to prepare students for the CompTIA A+, Linux+, Network+, and Security+ certifications. These certifications allow holders to meet the baseline requirements for DOD 8570/8140 IAT Level I and IAT Level II positions.
- Cybersecurity Essentials Certificate– Students will learn to identify, investigate and combat network intrusions. Prepares students for penetration testing, computer forensics, and ethical hacking as well as certifications such as CompTIA Security+, Network+, and Linux+.
- Programming Essentials Certificate – Prepares students in multiple programming languages including Python, C++, and Java.
- Server Administration Certificate – Prepares students in Linux, Windows, Windows Server, basic networking, scripting.
- Software Applications Certificate – Prepares students for the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification exams.
- Swift App Development Short-Term Certificate – Students will learn the Swift language and develop apps for Apple OS-based devices, including iPhones.
Calhoun is a Microsoft certified training center, offering classes and an entire certificate focusing on Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) preparation.
Calhoun is a CompTIA Academy Partner, Cisco Networking Academy, and VMware IT Academy offering courses that prepare students for industry certifications including CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), and VMware VCP-DCV. Please contact Cynthia Buchheit (256-306-2675) for more information.
Careers in Computer Information Systems
Our A.A.S. degrees prepare students for entry-level positions in computer hardware repair, networking, computer programming, cybersecurity, or software applications.
Check out career data based on the programs below:
Cisco Preparation Certificate AS Computer Science Computer Technician Preparation Certificate AAS Cybersecurity Cybersecurity Essentials Certificate Programming Essentials Certificate Server Administration Certificate Software Applications Certificate