Deadline to Apply: May 10
CyberCorps® NSF SFS 2018-2019
National Science Foundation’s Scholarship for Service Program
Calhoun Community College has received the National Science Foundation grant for the CyberCorps® Scholarship for Service (SFS) Program through University of Alabama in Huntsville. The grant provides monetary support in the form of scholarships, covering full tuition and providing stipends, to students pursuing degrees specializing in cybersecurity-related topics and information assurance. The program requires that students ‘pay-back’ the scholarship with service, that is a commitment to work for a Federal, State, Local or Tribal government organization in the United States for a period equal to the length of the scholarship. The goal of the CyberCorps® program is to recruit, educate, and train a diverse workforce of individuals interested in taking on the task of securing government agencies from cybersecurity and information technology system threats. Students from traditionally underrepresented populations, including women and minority populations, are strongly encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to female applicants.
Qualified student must be citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States. Must be willing to transfer to UAH after completion of Associate of Science (AS) degree at Calhoun. Student must apply for transfer to UAH and accepted to receive the same benefits at UAH.
Calhoun Community College and University of Alabama in Huntsville are uniquely qualified to offer this scholarship program because of our curricular efforts, strong research programs (UAH), faculty strength, as well as unique lab facilities, which will help deliver an exemplary program in the nation. Both serve diverse student populations, have strong systems security programs, and extensive curricular offerings in cybersecurity.
- Student must have completed 30 or more hours at Calhoun (that will transfer to UAH) by the end of Spring 2019 semester
- Must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be able to transfer to UAH undergraduate cybersecurity related degree program
- Must be U. S. citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States.
- Other requirements may apply. You may contact Nisheeth.email@example.com if you need more information
- Must be a U.S Citizen or Lawful Permanent U.S. Resident.
Not dual and not an alien from a country on the state-sponsored terrorism list from the state department * Must meet criteria for Federal employment * Must be able to obtain security clearance, if required
- Demonstration of legitimate interest in, and commitment to, pursuing Information Assurance or cyber-security-related careers with a government entity after graduation
- Be a full-time student
- Maintain a specified grade point average
- Attend the annual job fair/symposium until post graduation commitment is secured
- Student must regularly meet with SFS advisor during the spring and fall 2019 semesters at Calhoun.
- Complete the degree/program requirements successfully**
- Participate in a summer internship with a local/state/federal agency***
- Work for a local/state/federal agency in qualifying positions, upon completing academic degree requirements. Length of service depends on length of scholarship support—one year of service for one year of support.***
- Complete online application.
- Letter of Reference (2)
- Resume and/or Curriculum Vitae
- Participate in an in-person interview
- The Scholarship for Service (SFS) selection criteria include an assessment, by the scholarship selection committee, of the likelihood that the applicant will offered a qualifying position for the internship and post graduation service obligations.
- The Scholarship for Service (SFS) selection committee includes faculty from both Calhoun and UAH.
*Complete the online application and submit (upload) all additional documents (listed above) with the application
** Although there will be flexibility in meeting individual student interests and goals, there will be a list of required courses a student must take. Contact the program director to discuss your individual requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have further inquiries about the Cybercorps® Scholarship for Service select this link to review frequently asked questions.