Calhoun Community College Signs Transfer Articulation Agreement With University of West AlabamaJuly 14, 2020
Today, representatives from Calhoun Community College and the University of West Alabama (UWA) met for the official signing of a new articulation agreement of conditional guaranteed admission between the two educational institutions that will support the recruitment and transfer of students from Calhoun to UWA. The event was held on Monday, July 13, in the Advanced Technology Center, Exhibit Hall, on Calhoun’s Decatur campus.
According to the mutually-agreed upon terms of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), UWA and Calhoun Community College recognize the benefits in having clearly defined transfer information and the ability to communicate such information across various student information channels. This MOU will outline the path for Calhoun Community College students who wish to continue their studies on campus at UWA.
- The University of West Alabama:
- Guarantees admission to all Calhoun Community College students based on a 2.0 GPA and 45 transferable credit hours or completion of their associate’s degree from Calhoun Community College.
- Pre-Transfer advising offered at Calhoun Community College and/or on the UWA campus with an academic advisor.
- Academic scholarships dedicated to Calhoun Community College students with a 3.0 or better GPA ($3,000-$4,000 per year renewable for up to 4 consecutive semesters).
- Calhoun Community College students who receive academic scholarships will also be eligible to apply for housing scholarships ($2,000 for their first year, non-renewable) to assist with and encourage on-campus residency.
- Calhoun Community College will provide:
- Access to students.
- Joint promotion of agreement, programs and events.
- Space for events and meetings with prospective students.
- Term of Agreement & Revisions:
- The Agreement will be considered in place and effective from date of signing (by both parties). This agreement can be evaluated annually or by either party.
- Future changes or revisions to this agreement must be made in writing, signed by both parties.
- This is intended to assist both institutions in their efforts to better serve community college students who wish to transfer from Calhoun Community College and enroll at UWA.
Commenting on the MOU, Dr. Joe Burke, President of Calhoun Community College, said, “We are extremely excited about this partnership as it will assist our students in transferring seamlessly to the University of West Alabama. The agreement focuses on student success through scholarships and academic advising, which is the primary vision of our institution. We are certain that the UWA staff and administration are dedicated to helping our students to succeed.