Frequently Asked Questions

How do I begin the Registration/Enrollment Process?

  1. Start by discussing all options with high school or home school counselors, and considering long term educational goals. Placement Scores will be required. Students are encouraged to have scores prior to selecting classes to ensure they have met the required pre-requisites.
  2. Complete and submit all required Dual Enrollment Forms.
  3. Contact any of the Calhoun Dual Enrollment staff for more information.

Is Financial Aid Available?

Traditional Financial Aid is not available for students enrolled under the Dual Enrollment/ Dual Credit Program. Federal Government regulations require students to have a high school diploma or GED to qualify for any form of financial aid; however, Alabama families who are recipients of the fully-funded PACT Program may apply these funds towards Dual Enrollment Dual Credit Courses. Click here for more information on the PACT Program.

What Courses May an Eligible Student take at Calhoun?

Any college-level courses in English, foreign languages, mathematics, science, or social science; any career/technical courses; or any other courses agreed upon by the school system and the college are open to eligible students. Students must meet the course prerequisites prior to enrollment. This program does not include physical education courses, or any courses taken on an audit basis.

Prerequisites may be met by completion of the Calhoun Placement Examination and/or minimum levels on the ACT or SAT in English and Mathematics. Contact the Dual Enrollment staff to schedule an appointment or to answer any additional questions regarding eligible courses.

Will courses Transfer?

Calhoun Community College is fully accredited by the Southern Associated of Colleges and Schools; therefore, most all of our courses will transfer to other schools or 4 year institutions. However, to determine the transferability of courses that may be taken, we strongly urge students to check with those colleges/universities in which they plan to attend. Students are encouraged to visit the Calhoun Advising Department which contains information about the STARS Articulation Guide and can help provide more information about the transfer of courses between area colleges and universities. Visit the STARS page for more information.

How much does it cost?

Tuition Charges are calculated by credit hour, and most courses are usually 3 to 4 credit hours each. Students may review the tuition charges as outlined in the Current Schedule of Classes by selecting the Tuition Fees & Calculator

Where and when will I take classes?

All Calhoun Community College sites offer courses that are eligible for the Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit program. Students should refer to the College’s current course offering schedule, and consult with the Dual Enrollment Office or Advising Centers for information on the dates, times, and locations of courses. Calhoun has limited course offerings at selected high schools in the area. Students must discuss all options with their high school or home school counselor before proceeding.