The English Honor Society for Two Year Colleges
Sigma Kappa Delta (Theta Beta) FAQ’s
Who is eligible to join Theta Beta?
Active members must meet the following requirements:
- Have completed a minimum of one college course (excluding developmental courses) in English language or literature
- Have no grade lower than a B in English
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in general scholarship
- Have completed at least one semester or two quarters of college course work for a cumulative total of twelve semester hours
- Students are not required to be English majors
Why should I join Theta Beta?
Some advantages include the following:
- Prestige of membership in a national honor society
- Apply for scholarships and awards
- Vote at all chapter meetings of the society
- Eligibility to serve as a chapter officer
- Attend scholarly presentations and colloquia of the sponsoring academic department
- Represent the local chapter at state, regional, and national conventions
- Receive other benefits, such as publications, of the Society
- Associate with other Sigma Kappa Delta members on local levels and regional levels and with Sigma Kappa Delta and Sigma Tau Delta members on the national level who share your interest in literature, the English language, and fine arts
How do I become a member of Theta Beta?
- Contact one of the sponsors
Can I lose membership in Theta Beta?
- No: Once a member, always a member. Dues are for lifetime membership
What do chapters do?
- Chapters are encouraged to hold periodic meetings that members are urged to attend
- Old and new business is discussed which usually centers on the fun chapter activities
- Some chapter activities include the following:
- Attending art exhibits, plays, movies, musical concerts, etc.
- Holding poetry readings
- Various parties such as Shakespeare birthday parties, Christmas parties, come-as-a-literary-character Halloween parties, etc.
- Movie nights (or days) on campus
- Book discussions
- Writers’ Conferences
Some local chapters hold fundraising activities including the following:
- Becoming a vendor and selling items (food, books,) at a local festival
- Holding a community yard sale on campus
- Hosting a writer on campus
- Selling merchandise
Leigh Ann Rhea
Calhoun Community College, National Sigma Kappa Delta Headquarters
© 2005 Sigma Kappa Delta, all rights reserved.