Application Policies & Procedures

Calhoun Community College maintains an admissions policy that provides higher education for individuals who meet minimum admission requirements as set forth by the Alabama Community College System (ACCS). The Office of Admissions and Records is responsible for interpreting and implementing ACCS policy as well as federal, state, and local laws and policies regarding admission of students to the College and maintenance of academic records. Admission to the College does not guarantee entrance to a particular course or program. Some programs have specific admission requirements. Requirements for admission into certain programs, such as Health programs, are found within the “Programs of Study” section of the catalog.

Required Admission Documentation:

  • Calhoun Community College application for admission
  • One of the following forms of primary identification:
    • Unexpired Alabama driver’s license or instruction permit
    • Unexpired Alabama identification card
    • Unexpired U.S. passport
    • Unexpired U.S. Permanent Resident Card
    • Resident Alien Card – Pre-1997
    • Unexpired driver’s license or instruction permit from another state or possession that
      verifies lawful presence, dated 2000 and beyond
    • U.S. Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-151) prior to 1978
    • BIA or tribal identification card with photo
    • I-797 Form with expiration date along with photo identification
    • Voter Identification Card from a state that verifies lawful presence
  • Official high school transcript with posted graduation date or GED certificate with passing scores
  • Official college transcripts (if applicable)
    • Students who have achieved a minimum of a Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university are only required to submit from the degree granting institution unless seeking a degree from Calhoun Community College.

Registration for classes will not be allowed until the Admissions Office has received a copy of an acceptable ID. You can submit your ID in person to the admissions office OR by clicking HERE

NOTE: All college transcripts are required for transfer credit or students applying for financial aid.

Please be advised transcripts are considered official if they are

  1. Mailed directly from the institution to Calhoun
  2. Sent electronically by an authorized delivery agent selected by the institution for processing orders of electronic transcripts to or
  3. Hand delivered official copy in an originally sealed envelope.

Faxed and/or emailed copies are considered unofficial and will not satisfy your admissions requirement.

Admission Status

There are two types of admission statuses: unconditional and conditional.

Unconditional Status

Students who have submitted all required documentation will be admitted under unconditional status.

Conditional Status

Students who have not submitted official transcripts may be admitted under conditional status. Failure to provide documentation by the end of the first semester of enrollment will prevent a student from future registration and official transcript release. Students with a conditional admissions status are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Residency Status

Residency status must be determined upon admission. In determining resident student status for the purpose of charging tuition, the burden of proof lies with the applicant for admission. The institution may request proof that the applicant meets the stipulations for in-state residency. A student’s residency status will be presumed for one full academic year of his/her most previous enrollment unless there is evidence that the student subsequently has abandoned resident status (for example, registering to vote in another state). A student failing to re-enroll within one full academic year must establish eligibility upon re-enrollment.

In-State Residency

The in-state tuition rate is established by the Alabama Community College System. In order to be eligible for in-state tuition as a resident student, an applicant must meet one of the following criteria:

  1. Has resided in the State of Alabama for at least 12 continuous months immediately preceding application for admission.
  2. Is a minor whose parents, parent, or legal guardian has resided in the State of Alabama for at least 12 continuous months immediately preceding application for admission. If the minor’s parents are legally separated or divorced, residence will be determined by the residency of the parent to whom the court has granted custody
    • Minor Dependent: A single individual under 19 years of age and a married individual under 18 years of age, but excludes an individual whose disabilities of non-age have been removed by a court of competent jurisdiction for a reason other than establishing a legal residence in Alabama.
    • Supporting Person: Either or both parents of the student, if the parents are living together, or if the parents are divorced or living separately, then either the parent having legal custody or, if different, the parent providing the greater amount of financial support. If both parents are deceased, or if neither has legal custody, supporting person shall mean, in the following order: the legal custodian of the student, the guardian, and the conservator.
  3. Determination of eligibility for in-state tuition shall be made by the institution by evaluating the presence or absence of connections with the State of Alabama. This evaluation shall include the consideration of the following connections:
    • Payment of Alabama state income taxes as a resident.
    • Ownership of a residence or other real property in the state and payment of state ad valorem taxes on the residence or property.
    • Full-time employment in the state.
    • Residence in the state of a spouse, parents, or children.
    • Previous periods of residency in the state continuing for one year or more.
    • Voter registration and voting in the state; more significantly, continuing voter registration in the state that initially occurred at least one year prior to the initial registration of the student in Alabama at a public institution of higher education.
    • Possession of state or local licenses to do business or practice a profession in the state.
    • Ownership of personal property in the state, payment of state taxes on the property, and possession of state license plates.
    • Continuous physical presence in the state for a purpose other than attending school, except for temporary absences for travel, military service, and temporary employment.
    • Membership in religious, professional, business, civic, or social organizations in the state.
    • Maintenance in the state of checking and savings accounts, safe deposit boxes, or investment accounts.
    • In-state address shown on selective service registration, driver’s license, automobile title registration, hunting and fishing licenses, insurance policies, stock and bond registrations, last will and testament, annuities, or retirement plans.
  4. Has graduated from an Alabama high school or has obtained a GED in the State of Alabama within three years of the date of his/her application for admission in accordance with the requirements set forth in the Code of Alabama.

Non-Resident Student

A non-resident student, one who does not meet the standard of having resided in the State of Alabama for at least 12 continuous months immediately preceding application for admission, shall be charged the instate tuition rate established by the State Board of Education if the student satisfies one of the following criteria, or, if the student is a dependent (as defined by the Internal Revenue Code), then the person supporting the student satisfies one of the following criteria under the following circumstances:

  1. The student or the person(s) supporting the student is a full-time permanent employee of the institution at which the student is registering.
  2. The student or the person(s) supporting the student can verify fulltime permanent employment in Alabama and will commence said employment within 90 days of registration.
  3. The student or the person(s) supporting the student is a member of the United States military on full-time active duty stationed in Alabama under orders for duties other than attending school, as required by ACT 2013-423
  4. The student or the person(s) supporting the student is an accredited member of a consular staff assigned to duties in Alabama.
  5. The student or the person(s) supporting students resides in one of the following Tennessee counties: Bedford, Franklin, Giles, Lawrence, Lincoln, Marion, Marshall, Maury, Moore, or Wayne.

Out-Of-State Residency

The out-of-state tuition rate is determined by the Alabama Community College System. Any applicant for admission who does not meet the residency requirements for in-state tuition shall be charged tuition at 2.00 times the in-state tuition rate, rounded up to the nearest dollar.

Students initially classified as ineligible for resident tuition will retain that classification until they provide documentation that they are eligible for instate tuition. Requests for in-state tuition must be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records, and the Registrar will determine whether or not a student is eligible to pay the in-state tuition rate. International students must pay the out-of-state tuition rate.