Post 9/11 GI Bill®

Beginning August 1, 2009, an eligible service member may transfer up to 36 months of unused Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits to a family member or members. All applications will be submitted through the Transferability of Educational Benefits (TEB) website. The steps are listed below:

  1. Using a CAC card or DFAS pin, log on to the DoD Transferability of Education Benefits (TEB) Web page located at
  2. The family members eligible for benefits under DEERS will be shown. (If a dependent’s name is grayed out or the edit button does not work, it means that the member is not eligible for DEERS benefits and thus is not eligible to receive transferred benefits.)
  3. Click the edit button for each family member you want to transfer benefits to. Choose the start date and end date, and number of months of benefit. (Spouses can use for 15 years after the member separates/retires; children can use until their 26 th birthday)
  4. Once you’ve added your family members, check all the boxes to indicate you’ve read and understand each statement on the transfer request page.
  5. After you have submitted your request to transfer benefits, in the upper left corner of the TEB site, you will see your name, status submitted, and the date of status will be blank.
  6. To track the status of your request, you will have to return to the TEB page and monitor the status.
  7. After a request is approved, the status of your request will change to ‘approved’ and the date of status (approval) will be the date you submitted your request. The TEB site will automatically transfer the data to the VA, so that they can process a family member’s request for a certificate of eligibility.
  8. Once your request is approved, your family member has to submit a request for a certificate of eligibility to the VA. They should use VA Form 22-1990e, and can do so via the VA Web site: http//
  9. After receiving the certificate of eligibility from the VA, family members will provide the certificate to the school.
  10. Tuition funds will be sent direct from the VA to the school. Children using transferred benefits will receive the monthly living stipend and the books and supplies stipend. Spouses using transferred benefits will only receive the monthly living stipend and the books and supplies stipend if they use the benefits after you separate from active duty.

Eligible Family Members include:

  • Spouse
  • One of more children
  • Any combination of spouse and child

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at