NOTE: In-person sessions are suspended at this time but we are still available for online & remote tutoring!
Here’s How to Schedule your Online Tutor Appointment:
- Log in to MyCalhoun
- Click on STAR Institute under the Quick Links menu
- Select the Online Center
- Complete the instructions on the screen in Tutor Trac
- Our tutors will correspond with you remotely via email, Skype, phone and/or desktop computers
Welcome to the STAR Institute! STAR Institute is the Student Tutoring and Academic Resource Institute. We opened our doors in Spring 2017. We provide FREE one on one tutoring in all subject areas, and success seminars throughout each semester. Student success is our number one priority at Calhoun Community College. Every effort is made to provide students with programs and services that can assist them in obtaining and reaching their academic goals.
We have TWO locations to serve you:
STAR Decatur is located in room 230 of the Chasteen Student Services Center on the Decatur Campus. Phone 256-306-2594
STAR Huntsville is located in room 206 Sparkman Building-Student Success Center on the Huntsville Research Park Campus. Phone 256-713-4882
Fall & Spring Hours:
- Monday-Thursday 8:00 am -8:00 pm
- Friday- 8:00 am -11:45 am
DROP-IN Writing and Math Labs
- Writing Lab is located in Harris Hall Room 346- Phone 256-306-2511
- Math Lab is located in Math/Science/Administration (MSA), inside Room 120, but in the back Lab, Room 118- Phone 256-306-2740
- Writing Lab is located in the Sparkman Building, (Bldg 1) Room 133A- Phone 256-890-4769
- Math Lab is located in Math, Science & CIS Building, (Bldg 2) Room 1106- Phone 256-890-4908
How To Schedule a Tutor (in person)
Academic performance is one of the best indicators of student success. Calhoun Community College has made YOUR success our number one priority. We have teamed up with TutorTrac to allow for easy access to Tutors. The success of any Campus is determined by student success. Having the ability to provide critical help at the moment it is needed enables success for everyone.
- Login to your MyCalhoun Portal.
- Under Quick Links, click on the STAR Institute Icon for TutorTrac/SAGE.
- Click Search Availabilities;
- Choose a Center (i.e. STAR Decatur or STAR Huntsville);
- Click Choice Required (Your semester schedule will pop up).
- Click on the class that you want to receive tutoring;
- Click the Reason, and Press Search.
- You will see the schedule availability of all tutors that teach that particular subject. To select your day and time, simply click on the time that you would like to attend.
- On the appointment entry page, add your phone number, notes, check both boxes beside the save button and PRESS SAVE. It is that easy!
How to Submit a Student Referral
Spring 2018, we implemented our Student Alert and Group Event (SAGE) Program. This program allows faculty members to make student referrals on students that may need more planning, advising, or assistance outside of the classroom environment.
- Log in to your MyCalhoun Portal, Under Quick Links, click on the STAR Institute Icon for TutorTrac/SAGE.
- On the left hand side, (Faculty Courses) you will see a list of all of your courses
- Click Submit Student Referral
- This brings up a list of the students in your class and/or their Banner student ID number
- Click on the Student name or Banner student ID number of the student that you are referring.
- You are now at the actual referral form.
- Choose the REASON
- Choose the RECOMMENDATION
- Select the CAMPUS that your class is held or if you are teaching online, select the Online Tab.
- Click Submit
Exciting things are happening at the STAR Institute- Get STARSTRUCK!
Check the STAR Institute Directory and feel free to contact any of the staff for more information.