1. Secure Funding
Credit or Debit Card payments accepted online at www.calhoun.edu/cdl.
Bank – Check with a local bank or credit union to assist in financing a loan to cover the costs of CDL training.
Sallie Mae – Visit www.salliemae.com/SmartLoan to apply for a personal student loan. Select Smart Option Student Loan for Undergraduate Students.
Please note: Calhoun Workforce Solutions requires students be certified/authorized for Sallie Mae loans at least 30 days prior to the class start date. If you need assistance completing your loan application, please call 877-279-7172.*
WIOA – For more information regarding eligibility and application for the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), funding to cover the cost of the CDL training program, please contact your Alabama Career Center.*
Careers in Gear – Apply for the potential to receive a scholarship up to $3500 to assist in the payment of CDL training at Calhoun Community College. Complete the application at www.careersingear.com/cdl-scholarship, explain the financial need, and share why you want to become a truck driver.*
2. Registration and Payment
Register by credit or debit card at www.calhoun.edu/cdl. Select the session you wish to attend and add to cart. You will receive a confirmation upon submission.
* If approved for WIOA funding, a Sallie Mae loan, or awarded a Career in Gear scholarship, please contact our office at 256-260-2462 or 256-306-2928 for registration.
3. Acquire Documentation
The DOT physical, medical examiner’s certificate, chain of custody drug screen, and motor vehicle report (MVR) is required and must be dated within 30 days of the first scheduled class day.
- Submit a copy of the following documentation at least one week prior to the start of class to the Calhoun CDL office: driver license, social security card, motor vehicle report (MVR), long form DOT physical and medical examiners certificate, and chain of custody drug screen results (must be sent by the medical facility to the college).
- See details below on how to obtain these documents.
Motor Vehicle Report (Driving Record)
Go to the Drivers License Office in Huntsville or Sheffield and obtain a copy of your Motor Vehicle Report (MVR).
1115-A Church St.
Huntsville, AL 35801
4500 Hatch Blvd.
Sheffield, AL 35660
Physical and Drug Screen
Visit a medical facility that is certified to conduct a Department of Transportation (DOT) Physical and a Chain of Custody Drug Screen. Have these completed one week before training begins. Click here to locate a Certified Medical Examiner in your area
4. Submit Documentation
There are three easy ways to submit your documentation:
- Mail: CDL Office, Room 227, Calhoun Community College, 102 Wynn Drive NW, Huntsville, AL 35805
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Fax: 256-306-2929
5. Obtain & Review CDL Manual
Prior to class, obtain and begin review of the Alabama Commercial Driver’s License Manual. Begin studying manual prior to first day of class. You may obtain a copy of the manual at an Alabama county courthouse, or access the manual here: https://www.alea.gov/sites/default/files/inline-files/cdlmanual.pdf