Registration Steps for the CDL Training Program
1. Secure Funding
- Self Pay – Credit or Debit Card payments accepted online at www.calhoun.edu/cdl.
- Bank – Check with a local bank or credit union to assist in financing a loan to cover the costs of CDL training.
- Sallie Mae – Visit www.salliemae.com/SmartLoan to apply for a personal student loan. Select Smart Option Student Loan for Undergraduate Students.
If you need assistance completing your loan application, please call 877-279-7172.*
- WIOA – For more information regarding eligibility and application for the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), funding to cover the cost of the CDL training program, please contact your Alabama Career Center.*
* If you are approved for a Sallie Mae loan, or are receiving WIOA funding through the Alabama Career Center, please contact our office at 256-306-2928 for registration and further information. You will not need to register online.
2. Acquire Documentation
The DOT long form physical, medical examiner’s certificate (medical card), chain of custody drug screen, and motor vehicle report (MVR) is required and must be dated within 30 days of the first scheduled class day. See details below on how to obtain these documents.
Motor Vehicle Report (Driving Record)
Go to the Drivers License Office in Huntsville or Sheffield and obtain a copy of your Motor Vehicle Report (MVR).
1115-A Church St.
Huntsville, AL 35801
4500 Hatch Blvd.
Sheffield, AL 35660
DOT Physical and Drug Screen
Visit a medical facility that is certified to conduct a Department of Transportation (DOT) Physical and a Chain of Custody Drug Screen. Have these completed one week before training begins. Click here to locate a Certified Medical Examiner in your area
3. Submit Documentation
Email a copy of the following documentation by the deadline provided upon registration to the Calhoun CDL office (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Driver license
- Social security card
- Motor vehicle report (MVR)
- DOT long form physical
- Medical examiners certificate (medical card)
- Chain of custody drug screen results
4. Obtain & Review CDL Manual
Prior to class, obtain and begin review of the Alabama Commercial Driver’s License Manual. Begin studying manual prior to first day of class. You may obtain a copy of the manual at an Alabama county courthouse, or access the manual here: https://www.alea.gov/sites/default/files/inline-files/cdlmanual.pdf